Netflix Movie Fans

Comedy, moreso than any other genre, is so varied from person to person. In the same way it's hard to find a horror that will scare you after you know the secret, it's almost impossible to find a comedy that will make you laugh after you know the punchlines. What tops your list? These 5 make me laugh hysterically even though I've seen them 100 times:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Office Space
Airplane
Princess Bride
Super Troopers
The Blues Brothers (yeah that's 6, but really I can't leave any of them off)

I have to give an honorable mention, also, to EuroTrip just for the song "Scotty Doesn't Know". Funniest running gag in a movie ever. Also my favorite screen time for Matt Damon ever! "I did her on his biiiirthdaaaaay..."

Tags: 5, comedy, favorites, top

Views: 11672

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Man, I do love me some Office Space and Holy Grail.

Dying is easy; comedy is hard.

Flirting with Disaster
Monty Python's Life of Brian (What have the Romans ever done for us?)
Bringing Up Baby
Withnail and I
The Fortune Cookie

You've started a thread that will have people smacking their foreheads for days, as others add forgotten favorites.
I know, this is a hard one. I had to leave off Life of Brian (thiiiiis close to knocking off Blues Brothers) and, believe it or not, Grumpy Old Men1 and 2. Walter Matthau and Jack Lemon still have it.
Yeah, I just realized I left Preston Sturges off my list, and there's five (six, really) of his movies that make me laugh every single time. He could have had all the spaces.
A couple of senseless, laugh out loud comedies for me were:
The Wedding Crashers
Meet the Parents

Also thought Sideways was very funny

Mel Brooks has two of mine (the rest of his stuff is crap).
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles

Then...
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

and of course...
The Princess Bride

I count these as movies I laugh out loud to no matter how many time I watch them.
I know, I hated leaving Mel off. You didn't like Spaceballs?
There are a couple lines that stick with me from Spaceballs, but it's too little to make "funny" movie, for me.

"I'm a MOG -- half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend." is a line I thought was funny.
Dangit...I forgot The War of the Roses...
Only Kathleen Turner can convey so effectively the fury men create with their b.s.
1) Blazzing Saddles
2) There's Something About Mary
3) A Fish Called Wanda
4) The Bad News Bears (original, as if you had to ask)
5) Chasing Amy

runner up

THE PALM BEACH STORY
Too many for me to choose just 5 so here are some of my top comedies not in order:
The Big Lebowski
Meet the Parents
Encino Man
Best in Show
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Raising Arizona
Swingers
The Full Monty
Nice! Omg, the scene in Full Monty when they are standing in line at the unemployment office and "Hot Stuff" starts playing over the muzak..classic!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Knaldskalle replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'New 14-15 discussion group' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"Delaney Walker saved my ass Sunday. I never suspected he'd get more than 20 points, I just put him on because everyone else was hurt or out."
19 hours ago
Profile IconSylas and Mike07023 joined Netflix Movie Fans
19 hours ago
Dig-Me-Up replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Haunt 2013. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2386278/?ref_=rvi_tt  Overall this was a somewhat predictable ghost story. It involved teens and an angry ghost and some conjuring of the angry spirit by the teens. Some parts of the film were a bit slow…"
yesterday
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Follow Thru (1930)Frothy golf-related musical adopted from a Broadway show released later in the same month as another frothy golf-related musical, 'Love in the Rough' though 'Follow Thru' has the distinction of having been…"
yesterday
macroman replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"The Baader Meinhof Complex (2008. Germany)-Great movie about the infamous Baader Meinhof Gang, part of the larger Red Army Faction (RAF), a group of left-wing revolutionaries that terrorized Germany from 1967-77, although later generations of that…"
yesterday
eviltimes replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'New 14-15 discussion group' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"Jay Cutler - Saving my bacon in the second half!"
yesterday
Knaldskalle replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Fantomas is a lot of fun, but I like "Les Vampires" (1915) even better. Feuillade definitely learned from his earlier efforts what worked and what didn't. "
yesterday
Knaldskalle replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Its reputation is definitely "worse" than the movie, it's harmless by modern standards. But it still has a touch of elegance that lingers long after the rest of the movie has faded. "
yesterday
Dig-Me-Up replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
Monday
eviltimes replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'Answering my "where the HELL is Smack Talk" query' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"Champions don't talk like bitches!"
Sunday
eviltimes replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'New 14-15 discussion group' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"Matt forgot about Peterson.  I might have a chance."
Sunday
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Erotikon (1920)Despite the title there's hardly anything erotic about this drawing room "comedy" except for an extended ballet within the film that the characters attend which features a scantily clad voluptuous woman. The film…"
Sunday

© 2014   Created by droidmaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service