Netflix Movie Fans

Does anyone know why Netflix doesn't allow even the most filtering or sorting ? ie, why can't I select Documentaries and then sort by date or by rating ? Or select all action movies from 2007 ?

They have good programmers and this is a pretty basic thing that Amazon and others allow. Is it because they to encourage people to not take out the same movies ? ie, would that cause everyone to want to rent the highest rated, latest releases ?

Tags: filtering, search

Views: 2423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

well like you said... It is a basic thing to search for movies..... so my guess is they have a reason not to do things that simple because like you said it would be easier for people to rent the same movies... and they sure don't want that....
I also wonder if they removed "releasing this week" section for the same reason: everyone was trying to rent the latest releases at the same time.
So, with a number of clicks you can sort a given genre by Title, MPAA, or User Rating.

What about sorting a text search ? Or sorting by date released ? Or any kind of filtering (so you can select only movies released in 2007 or only movies with Tom Hanks in them) ?

It seems like the philosophy behind the site has been that Netflix will tell you the movies you want to watch. I'd much rather browse and find them on my own. Today, much like James, I do this in IMDB and then go to netflix and add them to my queue, which is a pain.
True. Over at blockbuster.com (which I left for netflix), every week I just checked for new blurays and added them to my queue. Now, I have to have BB.com open while I add stuff to my netflix queue. I should definitely be able to see the available blurays by order of release date. Netflix's website has fallen behind the competition. While their prices, selection, and customer service are top-notch, I shouldn't have to snipe movies from somebody else's website.
They have a way of dealing with popular DVDs: it gets marked as "short wait" or "long wait", and they have a (presumeably fair) algorithm for deciding who gets copies as they come back. As a customer, that process feels reasonable to me.

If they really are intentionally creating a frustrating user experience to guide people to not rent the popular DVDs that's pretty bad.
True, netflix has had great success in the online DVD distribution market, but I'm with Drew. Why would they not let me look at the movies coming out this week? Because they'll be in high demand. Like Drew said, just tell me there's a long wait or short wait or whatever. I shouldn't have to have BB.com open alongside netflix just to add new releases to my queue.

Why would I be "happier" adding movies from over one year ago to my queue? That's what netflix considers "new releases" now. Anything from smokin aces to a mighty heart. LOL, that's not even close.

I wasn't around for the older UI, but I do know that's one thing I miss from BB online.
LOL, message boards were invented to let people complain to other people. The only truth is that not having the weekly DVD releases advertised is annoying to us. It's pretty awesome that you like not having it.

There's no denying, though, that Prison Break season 1 on bluray is NOT a new release like my current new release page is telling me. Fix one or the other, that's all.
They believe that most customers are happier finding other movies that are not in high demand, rather than waiting for those that are in high demand.

Exactly! I started watching the "I Love Lucy" series from the beginning. Great stuff!!!
Like I've said before... I will probably be with Netflix fora long long time.. because it's the best thing to happen to MOVIES... And man do I love movies..... But I also think a Hard Truth is ColdOne does kiss a little too much Netflix Ass.. Like they are gonna give him/her a prize for trying to defend their every move.

Here is what I agree and disagree with: Almost Everyone wants their damn New Releases!!!! whether it be the BIG Blockbuster Movie that just came out... or the not so known foreign film that was just released..... So yes I agree People should stop whining about the waits for these New Movies and get over it!!!! If thats all you joined up for... I don't think Netflix is for those type people.... But what I dont agree with.... Is Netflix purposley making it hard to find their movies just because they think they know what someone wants to do more than the actual person... I think that is just Stupid.... So there is Stupid on both sides.
Well the deal is... NETFLIX is obviously trying to tell their 8 million customers by the way they have set up the website..... That if you are a Brand New Release only or pretty close to it Renter... That they don't really want them as their customer.... So In fact... If they don't want to open their tiny little minds to the other thousands of possibities..They should probably wait at Blockbuster or wherever and wait for their Neighbor to return it..

When a company Gets This Dang Big... Customers need to start thinking about the Numbers....... No Netflix probably won't buy 8 million copies of " I am Legend ".... Gosh that makes sense......

NETFLIX needs to start making their site more Movie Finding easy and stop trying to covertly hide things and make it a little harder to find movies cause they don't have enough copies!!

CUSTOMERS need to start using their little bity brains just a little bit and think " Gosh , I'm not the only one renting " and start looking for other movies to watch or YES " DEAL WITH " the wait times... Or take their precious money to someone that can get that Brand New Release into their hungry little DVD player the morning it comes out.
LOL....... SO TRUE. IDC ABOUT THE RENTALS THOUGH. IM MAD THEY TOOK AWAY THE SORT DATE . I LIKE WATCHING THE INDEPENDENT MOVIES THAT COME OUT IN 2011
I agree, we should be able to sort by rating, AT LEAST on the Instant Watch movies. We should NOT be restricted to simply view the top movies without any organization whatsoever, we should be able to sort them while browsing each genre.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Dig-Me-Up left a comment for Baff
"Thanks for the info. No more Crossbones means my Fridays will be free. Here's one thing that I always thought about the show... This is a pirate style of a character. This is what that looks like... This is a gay attendant that…"
19 minutes ago
Baff left a comment for Dig-Me-Up
"Crossbones got canceled today.  An episode tomorrow and then the final 2 eps next Saturday.  I gave up on it last Friday. Extant ratings plummeted this week.  If it drops much further, they may not show the remaining episodes.…"
31 minutes ago
macroman replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Yes.  In other countries where GMOs are labeled, almost no one wants to buy them so they are scared to death of what labeling requirements here will do to their profits.  A recent poll showed about 93% of Americans who were asked want GMOs…"
56 minutes ago
"Actually I think we are on the same page. I wasn't saying that comedies are "the best thing". Just that they begin and end fairly quickly. Maybe sometimes too quickly. But with a TV show like The Strain, there may be enough…"
58 minutes ago
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Carny (1980)A young girl (Jodie Foster) decides to run away with a traveling carnival after getting involved with Frankie (Gary Busey), a dunk tank clown in the carnival. This puts a strain on his relationship with Patch (Robbie Robertson), the…"
3 hours ago
Baff left a comment for Dig-Me-Up
"If a show is too episodic, I quickly lose interest, since it doesn't feel like it is going anywhere.  I need equal parts episodic and ongoing storyline. I can't watch sitcoms anymore, the laugh tracks are far too annoying for me…"
4 hours ago
eviltimes left a comment for David
"Thanks, David.  Yeah, I've seen it somewhere, just can't remember where.  Sometimes the things the Japanese consider interesting confuse the hell out of me.  :)"
4 hours ago
Knaldskalle replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Money. Boatloads of money. The companies have nothing to gain from participating in such interviews because they know the skepticism is massive, so they don't."
6 hours ago
"X-Files had something in common with cheesy comedy shows like Married With Children. A show started and for the most part was wrapped up in the 25 minutes or so. Start a show,.. and wrap up a show. A think they need to go back to that instead of…"
9 hours ago
eviltimes replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Divergent     2014   PG13   139 min   2/10 Imagine my horror at seeing they have already planned three more of this steaming pile of garbage. Created to compete for the "Hunger Games" crowd, this…"
9 hours ago
Baff left a comment for David
"I too am losing patience with mystery shows. I enjoyed the first couple seasons of Lost a lot, but the end payout just wasn't there.  They never even bothered explaining half the mysteries.  That makes me very nervous of new shows…"
9 hours ago
Dig-Me-Up left a comment for David
"I can understand that. But actually Extant had increased the action from none to some last night. And the main body of the show is what is happening because of the secrets regarding Molly's pregnancy. All of which is being revealed very…"
9 hours ago

© 2014   Created by droidmaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service