Netflix Movie Fans

I give out very few 5 star ratings of movies. To me, a movie must be a masterpiece or really hit home on a personal level to get 5 stars. I feel that 4 stars is appropriate for even some of my favorite movies.

Others seem to give out 5 star ratings like candy. Even a movie like "Jaws:The Revenge" has some 5 star reviews - come on now...

What is your criteria for a 5 star rating and do you have any 5 star ratings of movies that were mostly hated by everyone else?

Tags: ratings, reviews

Views: 2309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the difference for me is that the fifth star goes to movies I love and WANT to watch again. it's not so much a reflection of quality as it is personal enjoyment.
Yep, the movie may be terrible by anyone elses standards, but not by mine, thus five stars cause I would watch that film again and again and again.
DITTO!!
Ditto. And if I don't care for so many rec's and want to be more honest, I'll give it a 4. Every so often I go through my 3,4,5 star ratings and decide whether I should change them and which way.
I do it the same way. I have about 5 movies out of 150 that make 5 stars.
A very few of my ratings are 5 star.... i'm kinda the same that way..... very picky ..4 stars is fine for a great movie.
102 5-star movies out of 3626 ratings. I agree with B-Independent on personal enjoyment over film quality. Films that I awarded 5 stars are films I could watch over and over, that blew me away or have left a lasting impression.
I have a few that on some personal level connect and I can watch maybe once a year that get 5 stars if only to recommend to others. Otherwise they need to be masterpieces.
So what is a "masterpiece" if you're differentiating it from films that you connect to on a personal level?
Any movie that I love, really really love will get a 5 star from me. Sometimes that means its a classic which is well acted, beautifully filmed, won tons of awards.... and other times its just a movie that made me laugh and that i actually want to see more then once. I gave a five star rating to the movie Blow Dry. It probably got more bad ratings then good, but I really enjoyed it. The rating system really is relative. For me its actually harder to rate something a 1 star then five stars. i have plenty of movies I love, but not many that I hated. So in the end most of my ratings are 3 stars since i didn't hate them, didn't love them. Even a 2 star means didn't like...
It is interesting how the two camps tend to look down their noses at one another. I don't care, in comparison, whether I give many or few 5-star ratings. If a film really moves me, I might buy it and would certainly watch again, I'll give it five stars. Four stars for really liked it, might watch again. Three stars for glad I saw it, wouldn't want to again. Two stars for it was pretty bad but had at least a few qualities I could enjoy. One star for 'hated it'. I think those are pretty close to the Netflix guidelines. My voting has made the Netflix recommendations work really well for me. That's all that matters in the end, isn't it?
Thanks, Chawk! I'd never heard of The Big White until you mentioned it. Now it's on my Q and I'm looking forward to seeing it!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Netflowers replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
9 hours ago
Netflowers replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
9 hours ago
David replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"Sorry to hear about your loss, Baff. "
12 hours ago
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 35.0'
"Four Sons (1940)In some ways this is similar to The Mortal Storm (1940) in which a German family is torn apart when the adopted sons of a Jewish professor join the Nazis. In Four Sons, which begins in Czechoslovakia just before the Nazi…"
12 hours ago
Ando replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'New 14-15 discussion group' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"You were No. 2 , dude. Have more faith. You might win it all quarterback streamin! :-D"
yesterday
Ando replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'New 14-15 discussion group' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"Whatchu talkin bout, evil? quickly lookin up last year's stats..."
yesterday
EmilyFreedom is now a member of Netflix Movie Fans
yesterday
eviltimes replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'New 14-15 discussion group' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"I've had crapola for replacements all season.  My current backup is Philly's Sanchez, but have you seen him play?  Before that I had Miami's Tannehil - another "choice" loser."
yesterday
eviltimes replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'New 14-15 discussion group' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"Even  (and more than likely) with the distinct possibility that the Herbs turn the Grapes into Sangria, I'll still wind up as #2, which will be the best I've ever done.  Ended up # 3 last year and that was with Romo.  FF is…"
yesterday
eviltimes replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"Baff!  I'm so terribly sorry.  I can't imagine such loss and heartache.  Our thoughts go out to you."
yesterday
"Haha. Lucky bastard. Thank Jeffrey for that one. Though just why on earth you've stuck with Cutler til now baffles the hell outa me. Congrats."
Tuesday
"See ya next week, Lisa!    ***evil grin***"
Tuesday

© 2014   Created by eviltimes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service