Netflix Movie Fans

What exactly does the "not interested" button mean or do?

If I click on "not interested" does that mean the movie will never again show up in my searches? In the way that would be cool, but on the other hand, it may be something I want to see later so I hesitate to click on it.

Tags: rating movies

Views: 3779

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've marked about 15,000 movies "not interested." They will still show up in your searches. They will not show up on the movie recommendation page and they won't show on movie genre lists if you tell it to "don't include movies I have rated". You can undo it by going to the movie's page and clicking on "clear rating".

I use it to mark movies I am sure I will never want to watch. The recommendation system considers it as if you rated the movie slightly negative (kinda like 2.5 stars?). The recommendation system considers a 3 star rating to be neutral.

As far as I know, thats all it does.
Thank you! Darlene
In the beginning I had around 2418 recommendations on about that number of moving ratings. (I even remember then the latter caught up with and exceeded the former.) In time I began marking Not Interested to things I knew I would never have cause to see (Pregnancy Workout, Bollywood Idol, Gay Orgy, Mob Massacre, Oogly-Pooglies for Li'l Tots). Now I'm about 1718 recommendations on 13100 ratings. I find recommendations to be generally good though sometimes crying for an update after weeks (e.g., after marking half of all Arthur PBS movies as 4 stars yet Netflix predicts I will rate the remaining titles all as 1 star).
I had a lot of movies marked "not interested" and I was getting only one or two recommendations at a time. Someone from the Community Blog said that Netflix thinks you won't be interested in other movies that are similar to the ones that are marked "not interested" so I cleared the rating on them all and lo and behold... I get a lot more (if not completely accurate) recommendations now.
With all my "not interested" ratings, I usually have 150-200 recommendations. I know some people have 1000s of recommendations though. Its working good for me, I really don't want a huge number of recommendations. Just 1 or 2 at a time would be useless too though.
You have 3418 Suggestions

That's my current number, but a lot of the rec's are from 1-5 with very few being in the 20's. I have one movie that is based on 30.

I remember reading on the blog, that rating a movie 5 stars = greater amount of rec's; 4 stars = somewhat less; 3 = no rec's; and 1-2 stars = removing from rec's the ones netfilx finds to be similar. Not intersted = less than the 1-2 stars.
I now have about 500 rec's due to my being stricter with my ratings, and in part due to the major netflix update, and actually am seeing it to be much better recommendation than before.
glad someone asked about this I was also wondering and hesitant to click on it, thanks , the replies were very helpful
When I was first looking at my recommendations, I decided to "Not Interested" a bunch that I didn't want to be shown again, because I'd seen them. I found out after I became interested in matching people's similarities that it messed with that percentage, so I cleared them and tried to remember exactly how I felt about the movie. (doing it that way, a lot of them ended up the neutral 3).

I did decide to go into genre’s that I don’t care for and mark them all "Not Interested" thinking that might give a clearer picture of my preferences to others. I’ll tell you one effect that approach has. It increased the number of films I’d rated, dramatically. Another was it also increased/decreased the percentages on some of my current Friends.

I'd think that the "Not interested" is more for you, then your friends. Wouldn't your friends be more interested in a film you did watch, and what you thought about it, via the rating?
If you just enter low ratings for movies you don't like, without balancing it with high ratings for movies that you do like, then the site kind of decides that you don't like movies and has trouble finding good selections for you. When I started out I didn't rate anything 5-star for the first week or so, and managed to get into this unbalanced state. Eventually a single 5-star rating for Monty Python and the Holy Grail made the Movies You'll Heart page come alive with tons of good recommendations.

Bottom line, 5 star ratings are powerful, but don't be too cautious using them.
What do you mean by too cautious? If you truly like a movie - rate it five, if not - then a four, and if you don't care to see rec's based on that movie, but liked it still - then a three.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

eviltimes replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"I'm temporarily blind - I'll have to use my tongue."
3 hours ago
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"I recall seeing that on TV ages ago when I was perhaps 13. I was impressed but doubt I'd enjoy it now."
4 hours ago
Profile Iconcami0512 and Mimi joined Netflix Movie Fans
4 hours ago
danram replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Pit and the Pendulum is definitely the best of Corman and Poe"
5 hours ago
Mimi shared a profile on Facebook
5 hours ago
Mimi joined The Bumbles's group
Thumbnail

What's The Name of That Movie? SOLVED Archive

ARCHIVE of all SOLVED movies from the What's The Name of That Movie? group discussions.No Discussions here.
5 hours ago
eviltimes replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Fargo good.  SyFy Channel bad.  Hulk need cookie.  ;)"
6 hours ago
"The film completely reverses the white/black orientation of the book.  After that it's all downhill.  So naturally those of us who had liked the novel were pissed off at the movie.  I wouldn't give it any stars."
6 hours ago
Netflowers replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
" "
6 hours ago
Baff replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"I loved the Misfits. I've never seen a brother and sister that were so obviously related as Michael and Lauren Socha.  He was recently on Once Upon a Time in Wonderland and the British version of Being Human. "
6 hours ago
" "
6 hours ago
" "
7 hours ago

© 2014   Created by droidmaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service