Netflix Movie Fans

Hi... Is anyone else suddenly getting Error 8156? Instant Watch has always worked fine for me until now. I use the silverlight verson on a PC and can watch video on other sites with no problem.

The entire message is: "Internet Connection Problem Error Code: 8156. An Internet or home network connection problem is preventing playback. Please check your internet connection and try again."

Netflix Support couldn't figure it out - they just said it must be something wrong with my internet connection. Unfortunately, my internet connection is fine and very fast - and other streaming video sites work just fine.

Is this happening to anyone else? Or does anyone have an idea I can try?

Thanks!

Views: 6383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This occasionally happens to me and usually it's during peak activity on the interwebz. I have Comcast which is fast only during uncongested traffic. Sometimes reloading the page works. Other times I just wait for a few minutes or scrap the idea for an hour or so. Frustrating to say the least but, sometimes it is the internet provider's fault.
Thanks! It started last night and is still happening. All my other sites are nice and fast so I thought it might be something wrong with Netflix. I'll wait and see if it clears up.
Some providers can be shady. It's against the law to target only certain sites for throttling, although, it is suspicious that Netflix seems to have the most problems with this. I'm fairly certain it's not the fault of Netflix as I'm sure they want people to be able to use the IW feature whenever they want.
That error message basically means your connection keeps (for lack of a better term) hiccuping or "timing out", which can happen during peak times or if the latency for a particular connection is very high, which would explain why yours works at other sites, but not Netflix. However long delays are "usually" caused by the ISP, not the end server (Netflix), but its very hard sometimes to prove it, and of course they wont admit they are doing anything bad (your ISP.)

Couple things might help (so us geeks know where to reference)

What Operating System (XP, Vista, W7... ?), ISP (Comcast, Roadrunner... etc...), Connection type (modem (name/model), wireless/not etc), Connection speed (rated, that is what you are paying for)

Do you have the latest version of Silverlight installed? Click Here to Check

ISP's use their own DNS (Domain Name Servers), which are basically what points the addresses to where they should go (will convert sitename.com to 123.456.789.0, then make a connection to that particular server.)

One way to test to see if your ISP is causing issues (even though everything tests fine and they say nothing is wrong... laughs to myself..) Is to go to:

opendns.com (its really easy to sign up and use) I've found that using opendns instead of the default DNS provided by my ISP has resulted in much improved streaming.

If you ISP is interfering with Netflix streaming, using this would stop them ;-)
That opendns really sounds like something worth pursuing, Sock Puppet. I'll be lookin in to this avenue for sure. Thanks!
Takes a couple minutes to do (actually takes longer to sign up) I play lots of games online, its sped them up very nicely.

Plus once you've used opendns for awhile you can look at your activity log, and find out the "actual" site information, plus if you locate bad site (spam, ad, etc) you can setup custom blacklists at OD and simply block them from the source, or use built in filters at OD to keep the bad guys away.
Thanks, Sock! I'm also looking into this.
Thanks, everyone - Silverlight turned out to be the problem. Someone installed the 4.0 beta on my computer and it's been working fine since September or so. Something must have happened to make it stop working. Since I uninstalled it and reinstalled 3.0 everything is fine.

And you're right about OpenDNS. I used to have lots of "Your connection has slowed" messages and switching to OpenDNS fixed that.

Thanks again - I was going into withdrawal!
Wow and I thought I was the geek :P I wasn't even aware that there was a SL 4.0 beta (runs off to google it :)

Edit to add: Are you a developer? The official page still shows that its only for developers to download/use, that there is no end user runtime yet. Im surprised it worked at all for you, it was first made available on November 18 by microsoft at a developers convention.

I like one of the tags I read "Flash Developers Need not Apply" ROFL!
The WIndows and Mac runtimes for 4.0 are about 2/3 of the way down this page:

http://silverlight.net/getstarted/silverlight-4-beta/

I'm not a developer, but I have friends who are. That's how I end up with stuff that doesn't work. LOL
Yes well you should start telling your friends "no".

Like I said, there were no end user run times released, those are for developers.

Note A LOT of mentions:

Get the Tools!

To get started you’ll first want to download the tools to make Silverlight 4 Beta development productive for you.

IMPORTANT DEVELOPER NOTE: (big bold letters)

...a prerequisite for developing Silverlight 4 Beta... ...For Silverlight 4 development, you will need Visual Studio 2010.... ...This will install the developer runtime of Silverlight 4 Beta... ...If you installed the tools above, you will get the developer runtime and there is no need to install again...

Not one thing about any of that suggests its very wise for the novice end user to install this item... Heck I'm not a novice end user, and I will not play with it till they have an official end user release.
LOL I learned my lesson on that with Google Chrome. Basically, I had to read enough shit to have taken a class just to get the browser to work again after I switched to the developers version. I wanted to use the nifty extensions that Chrome offered to only developers. I nearly lost all my bookmarks in the process. And I still couldn't add any extensions... I had to wait till they released the updated version a few days ago. :)

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Netflowers replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"EVA GREEN - Today "
36 minutes ago
eviltimes replied to pterosaur's discussion 'The Listening Thread: Part NEIN!' in the group The Soundtracks to Our Lives
"Pink Floyd - Set the controls for the heart of the Sun   and 3 other tunes on French TV in 1968"
55 minutes ago
ekelks replied to SirWes's discussion 'NETFLIX QUIETLY ENDED SATURDAY SHIPPING'
"The thing about Saturday shipping is not that Netflix delivers to us, but that we can mail it to them. I return DVDs Saturday, they arrive Monday, New ones get to me Tuesday."
1 hour ago
eviltimes replied to pterosaur's discussion 'The Listening Thread: Part NEIN!' in the group The Soundtracks to Our Lives
"CSNY - Country Girl"
2 hours ago
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"The Taste of Others (2000)Directorial debut for Agnès Jaoui who also plays Manie, a waitress who deals pot on the side. She co-wrote the screenplay with her husband, Jean-Pierre Bacri, who also plays Jean-Jacques Castella, a wealthy…"
9 hours ago
Spindaddydad replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'Football 2014-2015: who is ready?!?' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"Yep, ill get it set up and notify everyone."
9 hours ago
ekelks replied to RoadKill's discussion 'Release dates for TV series on Netflix???'
"best way i can see is metacritic"
10 hours ago
macroman replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Cesar Chavez (2013)=Prior to Cesar Chavez, California farm workers often worked in miserable, backbreaking conditions for very little pay and no benefits.   Chavez organized them into a union and they went on strike, eventually negotiating with…"
12 hours ago
macroman replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Endless Summer ll (1994)-Sequels are rarely as good as the original but this followup to the legendary surfing class Endless Summer (l966) comes very close to being equal to its predecessor.   The film follows two California surfers, one with a…"
12 hours ago
"The Citizen (2012)=Occasionally you get lucky and stumble upon a great movie while you are looking for something else online.  I ran across a new movie review website and was looking for reviews on GMO OMG when I saw this sleeper hit listing,…"
13 hours ago
" "
13 hours ago
13 hours ago

© 2014   Created by droidmaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service