Netflix Movie Fans

The news of the death of Maria Schneider allows me to think about her role in Last Tango in Paris.  Although her career continued 40 years after this role, it defined her, perhaps haunted her.  Years later, she would say in interviews that she regretted doing the film.   To her frustration, her professional acting career would never outlive her performance in that role.

Maria Schneider captures the spirit of a disillusioned  young girl who gets in over her head while dealing with a middle aged man's mid-life crisis (after the suicide of his wife). Brando's unabashed emotional frankness appears as the most natural, releaxed  'acting'.   Their relationship was honest & brutal.

What do think about Last Tango in Paris?

It has some of the most raw emotions ever captured in a "mainstream" film.  Its influence was enormous, its topics were taboo, however many people who I've recommended it to, find the story slow and boring.  The overall tone of the story is sad, dark, brooding and somewhat lethargic.  I loved the film in all its beauty and ugliness.

Tags: Brando, Last, Maria, Marlon, Paris, Schneider, Tango, in

Views: 8684

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Overall I like the film and think it's definitly worth seeing, but the ending always felt a bit contrived. It felt like Bertolucci couldn't think of a way to end the film, so he was like,"Fuck it, just have her shoot him."  Kinda like he took the easy was out.

If his heart was set on having the character dead at the end, he should have just had Brando shoot himself. That still wouldn't have been a very good ending, but it at least would have been more realistic than having the last sceen playout the way it did.

I first saw the movie at a drive-in theater. The assholes put the lights on before the finish, and it obliterated the parts of the screen showing her over the drawer where she gets the gun and the gun itself.

Hence, when I heard the shots and saw Brando walk out onto the balcony, stick his chewing on the rail and then collapse, I thought it was Bertolucci's stylized way of depicting Paul have a heart attack after chasing her upstairs to her apartment.

Dead Sex Kittens: Farewell to Three Icons of Movie Eroticism

A tribute to Maria Schneider, Lena Nyman  and Tura Satana in this week's Time. 

"They provided a view of the bold, confrontational, sexually liberated woman .... from the perspective, that is, of the avid, controlling men behind the camera and in the audience."

"Some women, like Tura Satana, enjoy the attention; others, like Lena Nyman, take it in stride; still others, like Schneider, feel they're the victims of cinematic rape. All, though, whether eager volunteers or reluctant draftees, were soldiers in the battle for a free and mature movie culture. Schneider, Satana and Nyman deserve our respect for fighting in the vanguard, on the front lines, of a war over the movies that was won in the '60s and is largely forgotten today."

Tura Satana a "sex kitten"?

Let's get fucking real, here.

... Buffalo's Miss Japan Beautiful

I'm not denying she's a formidable pussy cat.

But a "kitten"?

No.

Attachments:

For a filmography on Maria Schneider's career:

www.maria-schneider.net

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Dig-Me-Up replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"I wonder how many Tivo's would be filled with 552 half hour episodes. I think watching it would drive a person insane and they would need therapy afterwards.  "
9 hours ago
Marco is now a member of Netflix Movie Fans
10 hours ago
eviltimes replied to pterosaur's discussion 'The Listening Thread: Part NEIN!' in the group The Soundtracks to Our Lives
"Led Zep - White Summer / Black Mountain Side    *bonus track on Coda in LZ Box Set*"
14 hours ago
eviltimes replied to pterosaur's discussion 'The Listening Thread: Part NEIN!' in the group The Soundtracks to Our Lives
"Maaya Sakamoto - Replica   *new single*"
14 hours ago
eviltimes replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Proxy     2013   NR   120 min   4/10 A tedious thriller that tried to put me to sleep. That was probably why I was caught by surprise at the twist ending, although they tell you right up front. I was just…"
17 hours ago
David replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
18 hours ago
"Yoko Kanno - The Creation"
21 hours ago
eviltimes replied to Orion1's discussion 'Share a list of some of your favorite Anime's for others to see.' in the group AnimeZone
"He's a complete idiot."
21 hours ago
Orion1 replied to Orion1's discussion 'Share a list of some of your favorite Anime's for others to see.' in the group AnimeZone
"That guy reminds me of this greek guy that used to be on MAL. He also used to make all these crazy anime lists on youtube. People started hating on him hard core and he eventually got himself banned from MAL somehow. To bad too, because I used to…"
yesterday
David replied to Orion1's discussion 'Share a list of some of your favorite Anime's for others to see.' in the group AnimeZone
"I like this guy's reviews, well I'll say the anime he covers appeals to me, his comments are a bit corny however, and he has an accent though I can't place where he might be from, he reminds me of Lars from Metallica: "
yesterday
Dig-Me-Up replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"I missed it. But Robot Chicken and South Park jump the shark tank so often that normal would be out of place. So it's hard to say even when they have gone too far. Or when they missed their mark when it comes to humor. "
yesterday
eviltimes replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"Speaking of Robot Chicken - If you saw the last episode - Does this mean the end of Robot Chicken?"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by droidmaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service