Again this year I'm going to watch at least 31 horror movies in 31 days. Last year I found some great ones I'd never seen thanks to your recommendations. I'll keep a list of the movie, how I saw it, my rating and a couple of words of description. If I can't give a movie at least 3 stars I won't post it because sometimes I'll watch a movie a second time and like it more. Hopefully I'll find a lot I haven't seen but there will be a few re-watches.
So help me out - I'd like to have suggestions from everyone on movies to watch. All types of horror - classic, B horror, foreign, etc - any year - from silent classics up to the best or worst of this year. Post your favorites or let me know what you don't like. Feel free to post reviews or trailers on them.
Here's last year's discussion with my 31 movies: 2010 October - Movie Fans Horror Movie Month.
1. House of 1,000 Corpses (2003) -DVD- 4 stars - Cult horror slasher
2. Kuroneko (1968) - Hulu+ streaming- 4 stars - Classic Japanese horror
3. Tucker & Dale vs Evil (2010) - Amazon VOD - 5 stars - Comedy horror
4. Corridors of Blood (1958) - Hulu+ streaming - 4.5 stars - Classic drama / horror
5. Trick r Treat (2007) - NF streaming - 4 stars - Horror / comedy
6. Mutants (2009) - NF streaming - 4 stars - French horror
7. The Devil's Rejects (2005) (House of 1000 Corpses II)- DVD - 4 stars - Cult horror slasher
8. Who Can Kill A Child? (1976) DVD - 4 stars - Spanish horror
9. They Live (1988) Amazon Prime streaming - 3 stars - Sci-Fi horror
10. A Severed Arm (1973) NF streaming - 3 stars - 70's drive-in horror
11. Ghostwatch (1992) Google streaming- 3.5 stars - BBC horror/mockumentary tv movie
12. The Ebola Syndrome (1996) - DVD - 3.5 stars - Hong Kong horror/comedy/gorefest
13. The Masque of the Red Death (1964) - NF streaming 3 stars - Classic horror
14. Dream Home (2010) - NF streaming - 5 stars - Hong Kong slasher
15. Stake Land (2010) - DVD - 3 stars - Post apocalyptic horror
16. Dumplings (2004) NF Streaming - 3+ stars - Chinese horror
17. Night of the Comet (1984) NF streaming - 3 stars - Campy comedy horror
18. The Corpse Vanishes (1942) Hulu+ - 3+ stars - Classic horror
19. The Thing (2011) theatre -3 stars - Creature feature
20. Scream 4 (2011) DVD - 3 stars - Slasher
21. Grace (2009) NF streaming - 4 stars - Supernatural horror
22. Ginger Snaps (2000) Amazon Prime - 4 stars - Teen scream horror
23. Humanoids from the Deep (1980) DVD - 4.5 stars - Creature feature
24. Sauna (2008) DVD - 4.5 - Scandinavian Supernatural Horror
25. Contagion (2011) theatre -4.5 stars - horror/drama
26. Land of the Dead (2005) DVD - 5 stars Zombies
27. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) DVD - 4 stars - Remake of the 1984 teen scream
28. In the Mouth of Madness (1994) NF Streaming - 4 stars - Supernatural horror
29. Night of the Living Dead (1990) Crackle.com - 4 stars - Zombies
31a. Severance (2006) - Amazon Prime streaming - 3 stars - Horror comedy
31b. Paranormal Activity 3 (2011) theatre - 4 stars - Supernatural horror
Rottentomatoes.com Horror Countdown 2011 - 75 top rated on RT has some of the best horror made but I'd rank em differently. There's a couple I haven't seen yet but I plan to eventually.
IMO much superior to the 1999 remake.
Unquestionably. But pay no attention to the skeleton's strings.
31a. Severance - This is a comedy/horror movie about 7 employees of a weapons manufacturer going on a team building retreat but the "lodge" they find isn't as luxurious as the boss said it was and what's in the woods? Lot's of gore with some funny moments.
"A twisted and bloody spoof on office life, Severance nicely balances comedy and nasty horror."
Thanks cinemaphile for suggesting this one.
31b- Paranormal Activity 3 - I knew that this would be my Halloween movie. It's a tradition in my family to go see a horror on Halloween and for the past 7 years that movie was a Saw horror. We saw Paranormal Activity 1 and 2 also (close to 10/31) and this year without a Saw PA moved into it's place. I miss Saw! but change is good.
Paranormal Activity 3 - It's still about cameras watching strange activity in a normal family home and I think it worked well. Since it's in the theater now I won't say more but I'd see again.
From IMDB: "In 1988, young sisters Katie and Kristi befriend an invisible entity who resides in their home."
NF synopsis: "Valentine's Day is anything but ordinary for radio shock-jock Grant Mazzy after he runs into a crazed woman on the way to work -- and that's just the beginning as scores of other people in the small Ontario town of Pontypool start acting awfully odd."
I caught this one a few months ago. Fun movie!
If you are going to do the 31 days of horror again this year, I wanted to recommend The Cabin in the Woods if you haven't seen it yet. Another fun horror movie.
Also wanted to repeat a couple of suggestions from last year
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon(2006) - The next great psycho horror slasher has given a documentary crew exclusive access to his life as he plans his reign of terror over the sleepy town of Glen Echo, all the while deconstructing the conventions and archetypes of the horror genre for them.
Hatchet(2006) - When a group of tourists on a New Orleans haunted swamp tour find themselves stranded in the wilderness, their evening of fun and spooks turns into a horrific nightmare. My friend described it as Jason on crack.
Yes I'm going to do the 31 horror movies in October again this year and appreciate your suggestions. I put Cabin and Mask in my queue. Hatchet is one I've seen but I noticed there's a Hatchet 2 so I queued that one also. I've been doing some challenges on the I Check Movies Forum this year and it's been interesting.
If you, or anyone else, has more suggestions post them here and I'll start a new discussion next week to track 2012 movies. Looking forward to finding some more good ones.
I saw an interesting SF movie last night called Beyond the Black Rainbow, which I thought was unsettling and although, low budget to some degree, worked on a lot of levels. It's not horror per se, but had elements of it.
I've been watching lately some old TV Thriller episodes, and some of them are quite good, others are more crime oriented, but some are worth watching and fun.
Some others you might want to check out:
Amityville 3 (or 3D)
Brides of Dracula
Burn Witch Burn
London After Midnight
Mark of the Vampire
Humongous & Night of the Grizzly I found on Youtube, which may still be up
Deranged--another Ed Gein inspired story
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde--w/ Frederic March, an allegory on alcoholism.
Planet of the Vampires--SF/horror good atmosphere
Nightmares in Red, White, and Blue--doc
House of Frankenstein
House of Dracula