Netflix Movie Fans

Welcome to version 33, the Egg McMuffin of discussions. 

The first post in this thread will be # 14,394. 

The ghost of George Sanders reminds you to link your films, and that one should feel free to move on if bored. 

Views: 24320

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

But you got plenty of horseshit.

Take your pick -- which do you want Linda posing in?

Kinky Sev, Yeah that's one I never considered. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah......

Q'd this one. - Thanks!

Captain Carey, U.S.A. (1950)

3/5 Stars

Despite the lame title it's a pretty good noir. Ladd doesn't quite cut it in a role similar to many of Bogart's. The film introduced the song "Mona Lisa" for which it won an Oscar.

Pierrot le Fou. Oh, what to say...? I guess I like Godard, but I can't claim to fully get everything he's doing (or perhaps I should say "he's trying out") - at least not after just one viewing. I like the way he has a playful attitude about movies, clearly he's having fun, putting movie references in there and there's a certain light touch that's very endearing. At the same time, though, he stuffs his movies full of philosophical references not all of which I catch. There's also a certain disconnect between the tone of the movie and what's actually happening in it (which is at the same time more playing with both the medium and the audience): Relationships forming and dissolving, fleeing from everyday life toward some sort of liberty which turns out to be boring and without money, with a criminal enterprise thrown in almost as an afterthought and, seemingly, a complete lack of focus on those elements in favor of a focus on the main characters involved in those things.

Yeah, like I said, I don't get everything he's doing.

It was right after he divorced Anna.  I think it messed up his mind.  You should try the bonus disc.

The movie is from '65 and they divorced in '67. I don't think the movie's messed up, it's just too crammed with themes/issues/points to absorb in one viewing, at least for me.

Scratch that, Wikipedia is wrong on the divorce date, they split up around the time of the shooting of Pierrot le Fou, but apparently only got formally divorced in 1967.

I got it from the bonus disc.  May be "divorced" should be replaced with "she left him".

Yeah, I guess I'll have to rent that too...

Deadwood--TV series--didn't care for it, thought the profanity was overdone & unrealistic, I don't think people talked like that then, which I found distracting from the story.  I think a thirty minute Gunsmoke works better for me.

Personally, I need dirty words more than vitamin C.

But I, too, found all the "cocksuckers", "motherfuckers", "asslickers", and "assholes" a mite jarring.

I only made it to the death of Wild Bill, however, which was early in the series.

RSS

Latest Activity

MrSpork replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2015-16' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"They will show the last two episodes of Fear the Walking Dead a lot this weekend. But there won't be a new episode until the 13th of this month.. "
yesterday
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 35.0'
"Total Recall (1990) Another mindless action film but more fun than 'Escape from New York' (1981) due mainly to better special effects, lots of twists in the plot, and the political angle involving the suppression of life-saving…"
yesterday
stricnin replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2015-16' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"I watch/watched all 3 shows. I felt like JWnPooh from the end of last seasons Defiance. This season however IMO was pretty good from beginning to end. Revolution while I enjoyed the show, I wasn't surprised when it was canceled. It seems…"
yesterday
eviltimes replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion '15-16 year discussion' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"Well, tell whoever is the commish to add 'em!  Or is it too late?  (See what happens when you're out of it for a while?  No doctor has used the S word (stroke) in my presence, but the Internet answers all.)"
yesterday
eviltimes replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion '15-16 year discussion' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"HOT DAMN!  What a team!"
yesterday
stricnin replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2015-16' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"  As long as you don't try and compare it with The Walking Dead, you might find this enjoyable. My best description would be low drama, high action, comedic, end of the world scenario that shouldn't be taken too seriously.   "
yesterday
Profile IconSam and Babayaga joined Netflix Movie Fans
Wednesday
ocontraire replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 35.0'
" "G. Straight' always been one of my favorite films (maybe guilty pleasure) during that era. Caught on silver screen, initially, twice, then rented many more times over the years. Loved Gould's character, Candi, his car (I could…"
Wednesday
Babayaga replied to johny5's discussion 'OLD gargoyle movie'
"I remember seeing a re-run of this film in the early to mid 80's on British TV so that would be BBC or ITV. I am sure it had stop motion gargoyles which was why I found them so terrifying. I am guessing it was on old film stock and has probably…"
Wednesday
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 35.0'
"Escape from New York (1981) Brainless popcorn flick. ★★★☆☆"
Wednesday
tlatoanitzin replied to tlatoanitzin's discussion 'Black humor movie.' in the group What's The Name of That Movie?
"It is not, although it has an scene where a guy untie a button of her blouse, the movie I am talking about is not in black and white and it is not that old I think. It is like a comedy of black humor. Thank you."
Wednesday
David replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2015-16' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"I have a web friend that likes Defiance, so you may too, but he has a threshold for such series.  He really enjoys Stargate, among many others like that. http://scifimusings.blogspot.com/"
Tuesday

© 2015   Created by eviltimes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service