Netflix Movie Fans

Welcome to version 33, the Egg McMuffin of discussions. 

The first post in this thread will be # 14,394. 

The ghost of George Sanders reminds you to link your films, and that one should feel free to move on if bored. 

Views: 23246

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Three Days of the Condor

4 Stars

Excellent Spy Thriller with Robert Reford who plays a low level CIA employee whose job is to read books to try to find hidden codes and messages. His nondescript Ny City townhouse office is "hit" and we are left to figure out who are the good guys and who has been "compromised". Very well told story which could have been over-complicated but instead flows in an evenly developed way.

Three Days of the Condor

Awful, so far. I wanted a good Cole Porter musical. This is the closet thing on IW. Peter Bogdonovich's homage to 30s musicals (and Mel Brooks) full of non-singer 1970s movie-stars singing Porter. This just ain't my night. Theirs either.

Heart like a Wheel (1983)

Real good bio pic.  4 out of 5 stars.  Bonnie B is great.  I'm surprised she didn't have a bigger career.  A woman in a "man's sport"--and winning big time.  I didn't care for the music/soundtrack, which seemed to date the film terribly (it sounded like a '70's soundtrack from a made for tv afterschool special).  Good storytelling.  The real Muldowney didn't care much form Bedelia or the the portrayal of her life, but thought the film was great fro the sport of drag racing.  She wanted Jamie Lee Curtis to play her.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085656/

Bedelia's performance is great!

I should include her on the Great Performances thread.

Day-Time Wife (1939)

3/5 Stars

Linda Darnell was all of 16 years old when she made this film but she was convincing as a twenty something married woman. I imagine censors of the day had problems with the film's flippant stance on adultery. Well made screwball comedy.

Johnny Apollo (1940)

4/5 Stars

Not as dark as some post-war noirs but has all the ingredients. If you've only seen Dorothy Lamour in a sarong it's a kick to see her playing a tough-as-nails gangster moll.

Linda Darnell in 1944 Pin-up photo

Growrrrrowrrrrowrrrrruff!

Down big boy! Down! Why were Pin-ups always posed in Hay. I live in West Philly. We ain't got no Hay.

But you got plenty of horseshit.

Take your pick -- which do you want Linda posing in?

Kinky Sev, Yeah that's one I never considered. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah......

Q'd this one. - Thanks!

Captain Carey, U.S.A. (1950)

3/5 Stars

Despite the lame title it's a pretty good noir. Ladd doesn't quite cut it in a role similar to many of Bogart's. The film introduced the song "Mona Lisa" for which it won an Oscar.

Pierrot le Fou. Oh, what to say...? I guess I like Godard, but I can't claim to fully get everything he's doing (or perhaps I should say "he's trying out") - at least not after just one viewing. I like the way he has a playful attitude about movies, clearly he's having fun, putting movie references in there and there's a certain light touch that's very endearing. At the same time, though, he stuffs his movies full of philosophical references not all of which I catch. There's also a certain disconnect between the tone of the movie and what's actually happening in it (which is at the same time more playing with both the medium and the audience): Relationships forming and dissolving, fleeing from everyday life toward some sort of liberty which turns out to be boring and without money, with a criminal enterprise thrown in almost as an afterthought and, seemingly, a complete lack of focus on those elements in favor of a focus on the main characters involved in those things.

Yeah, like I said, I don't get everything he's doing.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Netflowers replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
17 hours ago
Netflowers replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
17 hours ago
David replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"Sorry to hear about your loss, Baff. "
20 hours ago
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 35.0'
"Four Sons (1940)In some ways this is similar to The Mortal Storm (1940) in which a German family is torn apart when the adopted sons of a Jewish professor join the Nazis. In Four Sons, which begins in Czechoslovakia just before the Nazi…"
20 hours ago
Ando replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'New 14-15 discussion group' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"You were No. 2 , dude. Have more faith. You might win it all quarterback streamin! :-D"
yesterday
Ando replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'New 14-15 discussion group' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"Whatchu talkin bout, evil? quickly lookin up last year's stats..."
yesterday
EmilyFreedom is now a member of Netflix Movie Fans
yesterday
eviltimes replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'New 14-15 discussion group' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"I've had crapola for replacements all season.  My current backup is Philly's Sanchez, but have you seen him play?  Before that I had Miami's Tannehil - another "choice" loser."
yesterday
eviltimes replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion 'New 14-15 discussion group' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"Even  (and more than likely) with the distinct possibility that the Herbs turn the Grapes into Sangria, I'll still wind up as #2, which will be the best I've ever done.  Ended up # 3 last year and that was with Romo.  FF is…"
yesterday
eviltimes replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"Baff!  I'm so terribly sorry.  I can't imagine such loss and heartache.  Our thoughts go out to you."
yesterday
"Haha. Lucky bastard. Thank Jeffrey for that one. Though just why on earth you've stuck with Cutler til now baffles the hell outa me. Congrats."
Tuesday
"See ya next week, Lisa!    ***evil grin***"
Tuesday

© 2014   Created by eviltimes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service