Netflix Movie Fans

Welcome to version 33, the Egg McMuffin of discussions. 

The first post in this thread will be # 14,394. 

The ghost of George Sanders reminds you to link your films, and that one should feel free to move on if bored. 

Views: 22623

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

And, BTW   FIRST !

Thanks, TB.

Just saw this last night. I'm in full agreement with you: Too great for mere ratings by fools.

Boogie Nights. Better and worse than I thought since I saw it last. Soundtrack makes it.

Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame (2010): It is the time of China's first empress.  A 66-meter "towering Buddha" is erected by the palace, but when two inspecting court officials suffer spontaneous combustion, the empress hires an imprisoned detective to find out what is going on.  CG whiners gonna whine, but I found this a visually exciting mystery.  4/5

I used to love reading Judge Dee stories as a kid... I liked the 1974 TV movie a lot too.

I wouldn't mind seeing it turn into a film series.

The basis is certainly there. I guess only the financials decide whether sequels get made.

Yeah, it looked pretty expensive.

Tsui Hark rules!

Leap Year Bonus !

The Double Life of Veronique (IMDb) 1991 R 97 min

Disc 1 Criterion 2006 SD POL, FR, IT w/ENG subs

Kieslowski's doppelganger film that is so much more. Irene Jacob is beyond beautiful. The tale is rich and tasty. A light, if repetitive touch with the symbolism at times, and there is a side story that wasn't completely removed (which can be confusing). This is Kieslowski’s first feature length “real” film since the fall of the Berlin Wall, also since Decalogue – and paves the way for his final three film masterpiece Trois Couleurs: Blue, White, Red. After which, he was murdered suspiciously.

Tremendous camerawork by DP Slawomir Idziak. There are times when his hand-made yellow filters seem to get in the way – especially when it seems he was going for the golden green (see his interview on Disc 2). But his use of optics, reflections, distortions, all camera tricks – no CG – is just outstanding.

There is an English commentary track by Annette Insdorf that is a little on the dull side, but if you didn’t understand the film – it’s a point by point deconstruction from 1991. Please skip the Harvey Weinstein tacked on American ending.

There are four short films on Disc 1: The Musicians – 1958 – 11 min by Kieslowski’s teacher at the Lodz School. Three by Kieslowski: Factory – 1970 – 18m; Hospital – 1976 – 21m; and Railway Station – 1980 – 13m. All are B&W in POL w/ENG subs and docs made in the Commie Worker style which are chock full of little subversive acts twixt the “ballet of lifeless robots.”

Demeaning, I know, The Sev Report – tittehs and bush for those so inclined, but Irene is so sensuous it is unnecessary.

Disc 2 2006

Kieslowski: Dialogue 1991 52 min. Doc interviewing the director about the making of. Tedious, but informative.

TV interview. 2005 30 min. Life of Kieslowski and the history of Poland from the end of WW2 through The Double Life of Veronique with all its political overlaps.

Criterion interview with composer Zbignew Preisner and his operatic score. 2005 21 min.

Criterion interview with cinematographer Slawomir Idziak 2005 24 min.

Criterion interview with Irene Jakob (still beautiful!) 2005 17 min.

Oh yeah. 10/10

Man. Coulda used this in 'Criterion Fun' but it's all good. These Criterion posts make the hulu-plus membership look awfully tempting.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Profile Iconeddeindeed and TWMovieGuy joined Netflix Movie Fans
2 hours ago
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"The Competition (1980)Why this film had a theatrical release is beyond me because it's no better than a TV movie form the 70's. A formulaic story about a group of young pianists involved in a competition and in particular, two of them…"
8 hours ago
macroman replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
" The title is 52 Pick Up (1986) and the link is here"
8 hours ago
macroman replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Young and Beautiful (2013. France)=After losing her virginity to a young man she meets at a party, a teenage girl embarks on the path of being a high-priced call girl, servicing mostly older men in high end hotels that she hooks up with mainly via…"
9 hours ago
Dig-Me-Up replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
" "
14 hours ago
David replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
17 hours ago
Baff replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"Legend of Korra season finished, will return probably in the Winter for its final season."
17 hours ago
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"The Crook (1970)This French film by Claude Lelouch starts out with a dreadful dance production which turns out to be a film within the film (thankfully). When the real story begins it's slow going for a while but it just gets better and…"
yesterday
Netflowers shared their video on Facebook
yesterday
Netflowers replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
" "
yesterday
David replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Koyaanisqatsi:  art film, Phillip Glass score Koyaanisqatsi - Kizökkent világ from Merényi Zoltán on Vimeo."
yesterday
David left a comment for Jim
"Welcome aboard matey."
Saturday

© 2014   Created by droidmaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service