Netflix Movie Fans

Welcome to version 33, the Egg McMuffin of discussions. 

The first post in this thread will be # 14,394. 

The ghost of George Sanders reminds you to link your films, and that one should feel free to move on if bored. 

Views: 22422

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

And, BTW   FIRST !

Thanks, TB.

Just saw this last night. I'm in full agreement with you: Too great for mere ratings by fools.

Boogie Nights. Better and worse than I thought since I saw it last. Soundtrack makes it.

Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame (2010): It is the time of China's first empress.  A 66-meter "towering Buddha" is erected by the palace, but when two inspecting court officials suffer spontaneous combustion, the empress hires an imprisoned detective to find out what is going on.  CG whiners gonna whine, but I found this a visually exciting mystery.  4/5

I used to love reading Judge Dee stories as a kid... I liked the 1974 TV movie a lot too.

I wouldn't mind seeing it turn into a film series.

The basis is certainly there. I guess only the financials decide whether sequels get made.

Yeah, it looked pretty expensive.

Tsui Hark rules!

Leap Year Bonus !

The Double Life of Veronique (IMDb) 1991 R 97 min

Disc 1 Criterion 2006 SD POL, FR, IT w/ENG subs

Kieslowski's doppelganger film that is so much more. Irene Jacob is beyond beautiful. The tale is rich and tasty. A light, if repetitive touch with the symbolism at times, and there is a side story that wasn't completely removed (which can be confusing). This is Kieslowski’s first feature length “real” film since the fall of the Berlin Wall, also since Decalogue – and paves the way for his final three film masterpiece Trois Couleurs: Blue, White, Red. After which, he was murdered suspiciously.

Tremendous camerawork by DP Slawomir Idziak. There are times when his hand-made yellow filters seem to get in the way – especially when it seems he was going for the golden green (see his interview on Disc 2). But his use of optics, reflections, distortions, all camera tricks – no CG – is just outstanding.

There is an English commentary track by Annette Insdorf that is a little on the dull side, but if you didn’t understand the film – it’s a point by point deconstruction from 1991. Please skip the Harvey Weinstein tacked on American ending.

There are four short films on Disc 1: The Musicians – 1958 – 11 min by Kieslowski’s teacher at the Lodz School. Three by Kieslowski: Factory – 1970 – 18m; Hospital – 1976 – 21m; and Railway Station – 1980 – 13m. All are B&W in POL w/ENG subs and docs made in the Commie Worker style which are chock full of little subversive acts twixt the “ballet of lifeless robots.”

Demeaning, I know, The Sev Report – tittehs and bush for those so inclined, but Irene is so sensuous it is unnecessary.

Disc 2 2006

Kieslowski: Dialogue 1991 52 min. Doc interviewing the director about the making of. Tedious, but informative.

TV interview. 2005 30 min. Life of Kieslowski and the history of Poland from the end of WW2 through The Double Life of Veronique with all its political overlaps.

Criterion interview with composer Zbignew Preisner and his operatic score. 2005 21 min.

Criterion interview with cinematographer Slawomir Idziak 2005 24 min.

Criterion interview with Irene Jakob (still beautiful!) 2005 17 min.

Oh yeah. 10/10

Man. Coulda used this in 'Criterion Fun' but it's all good. These Criterion posts make the hulu-plus membership look awfully tempting.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Netflowers replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"Ann Dvorak in “Scarface” (1932) Happy Birthday (August 2nd, 1911 - December 10th, 1979) "
12 minutes ago
19 minutes ago
"Keira Knightley - "
21 minutes ago
"EVA GREEN  - SIN CITY 2 "
28 minutes ago
macroman replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"  This has turned into a really interesting discussion.  Anyway, I liked and recommend the film.  It's a lot easier to watch than say Earthlings, which shows hidden footage of the concentration camp-like way much of today's…"
1 hour ago
macroman replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"This has turned into a really interesting discussion.  Anyway, I liked and recommend the film.  It's a lot easier to watch than say  Earthlings, which shows among other things hidden footage of the concentration camp-like way…"
1 hour ago
David replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"I like Dunst, and find her sexy, but agree with Diaz.  She's shapely, no doubt, but sometimes she can appear attractive, and other times not for me."
1 hour ago
"Thats' ok, I have another 200 favorites, give or take 50."
3 hours ago
eviltimes replied to pterosaur's discussion 'The Listening Thread: Part NEIN!' in the group The Soundtracks to Our Lives
"Well, employer - you know what I mean."
4 hours ago
eviltimes replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"Oddly I never found her attractive.  Cameron Diaz, too."
5 hours ago
eviltimes replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Yeah, castrated boy cows are fattened up with corn and slaughtered before it has any deleterious effect on their health.  Oddly, I get FZN Aussie beef tenderloins (only about 7 lbs - less than half the size of American tenderloins and cheaper…"
5 hours ago
"KIRSTEN DUNST - "
5 hours ago

© 2014   Created by droidmaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service