Netflix Movie Fans

Welcome to version 33, the Egg McMuffin of discussions. 

The first post in this thread will be # 14,394. 

The ghost of George Sanders reminds you to link your films, and that one should feel free to move on if bored. 

Views: 24318

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

You're right. Perhaps I'll read it someday though it's not on my list of books to read.

maybe men are not as favorable to Gothic Romance novels as women.

only when they are tied up

The Earthling (1980)

2/5 Stars

The plot is little more than an excuse to propound some philosophical ideas (the writer's?) like "don't live today as if it's a rehearsal for tomorrow." The on location shooting in the Australian outback (mountains, not desert) is stunning and worth seeing.

Metropolitan (1990)

2/5 Stars

Maybe I'm a dunce but I don't understand why Criterion found this film worthy to include in their collection. It seemed to me an East Coast version of The Breakfast Club except with pretentious preppies with nothing better to do than dress up in formal wear and attend debutante balls. Perhaps it's more interesting to those who belong to or have had contact with this world (which I understand from the writer/director's commentary that the film is based on his own experiences) but why make a film about such dull and lifeless people? To show that their lives are dull and lifeless? Thanks but I already knew that.

The Widow of St. Pierre (2000)

3/5 Stars

Almost a tear jerker. I was moved. Could be taken as an argument against capital punishment but at heart I think the film is a romantic fantasy.

The Fisher King

5 Stars

Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams play off each other very well in this dramedy directed by Terry Gilliam. Lots of interesting characters and amusing situations mixed with a poignant story and very good acting.

The Fisher King

Paradise Road

4 Stars

Good Ensemble cast led by Glenn Close play European women held by brutal Japanese captors in a Sumatra POW camp following the fall of Singapore during WWII. The story is true, pieced together as told by survivors.

Paradise Road

I wanted to see this when it came out, but was put off by the bad reviews -- particularly by John Simon, who is a fan and friend of the director Bruce Beresford.  I tend to take Simon seriously as a rule, but especially so when he dislikes a director he ordinarily esteems.  Beresford isn't perfect; occasionally he makes a clunker, and I just don't want to waste my money and time with what could be one.

Is this the same John Simon who called 2001: A Space Odyssey  a "shaggy God story "?

The Spectre of the Rose 1946 Hollywood Shakespeare Ben Hecht scribed and directed this bizarre male precursor to The Black Swan, although this has a low budget talkiness that takes some effort to relax into. There's some music by the great George Antheil, whose sonatas I recently listened to, only to find they had been looted by other movie composers. Anyhoo, this flick has camp cranked up to 11, with some witty asides whipping by faster than can be picked up in the first viewing. But since it's on WI, that's not a problem.

Miss Bala - A lot of people compare this Mexian movie (in Spanish with English subtitbles) to Maria Full of Grace but the protagonist in this one is a lot more passive to the point where you almost just don't even care about her.  But I guess that was the point of the movie, just a day in the life portrayal of an unlucky girl who gets involved with a drug cartel. It is almost mundane in it's portrayal of that violent culture including rape, murder, and even shootouts with police. I did liked that the movie was unflinching in it's depiction of the violence and the corruption in all levels of the government that are a part of the current drug wars in Mexico.   4 stars

Biutiful (2010)

3/5 Stars

I think any film with Javier Bardem in it is worth watching but this is the third film I've seen by director Inarritu and I feel he is repeating himself. Even Santaolalla's score sounds like it was lifted from other films he's done (though there's a nice orchestral piece for the credits at the end that is a departure from his usual style - most likely because someone else did the arrangement).

RSS

Latest Activity

MrSpork replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2015-16' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"They will show the last two episodes of Fear the Walking Dead a lot this weekend. But there won't be a new episode until the 13th of this month.. "
5 hours ago
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 35.0'
"Total Recall (1990) Another mindless action film but more fun than 'Escape from New York' (1981) due mainly to better special effects, lots of twists in the plot, and the political angle involving the suppression of life-saving…"
5 hours ago
stricnin replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2015-16' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"I watch/watched all 3 shows. I felt like JWnPooh from the end of last seasons Defiance. This season however IMO was pretty good from beginning to end. Revolution while I enjoyed the show, I wasn't surprised when it was canceled. It seems…"
14 hours ago
eviltimes replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion '15-16 year discussion' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"Well, tell whoever is the commish to add 'em!  Or is it too late?  (See what happens when you're out of it for a while?  No doctor has used the S word (stroke) in my presence, but the Internet answers all.)"
15 hours ago
eviltimes replied to Evil Herbivore's discussion '15-16 year discussion' in the group Netflix Fantasy Football
"HOT DAMN!  What a team!"
15 hours ago
stricnin replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2015-16' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"  As long as you don't try and compare it with The Walking Dead, you might find this enjoyable. My best description would be low drama, high action, comedic, end of the world scenario that shouldn't be taken too seriously.   "
15 hours ago
Profile IconSam and Babayaga joined Netflix Movie Fans
yesterday
ocontraire replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 35.0'
" "G. Straight' always been one of my favorite films (maybe guilty pleasure) during that era. Caught on silver screen, initially, twice, then rented many more times over the years. Loved Gould's character, Candi, his car (I could…"
yesterday
Babayaga replied to johny5's discussion 'OLD gargoyle movie'
"I remember seeing a re-run of this film in the early to mid 80's on British TV so that would be BBC or ITV. I am sure it had stop motion gargoyles which was why I found them so terrifying. I am guessing it was on old film stock and has probably…"
Wednesday
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 35.0'
"Escape from New York (1981) Brainless popcorn flick. ★★★☆☆"
Wednesday
tlatoanitzin replied to tlatoanitzin's discussion 'Black humor movie.' in the group What's The Name of That Movie?
"It is not, although it has an scene where a guy untie a button of her blouse, the movie I am talking about is not in black and white and it is not that old I think. It is like a comedy of black humor. Thank you."
Wednesday
David replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2015-16' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"I have a web friend that likes Defiance, so you may too, but he has a threshold for such series.  He really enjoys Stargate, among many others like that. http://scifimusings.blogspot.com/"
Tuesday

© 2015   Created by eviltimes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service