Netflix Movie Fans

I forgot that I had written the following essay about 20 years ago, upon leaving Fango. It appeared in "Toxic Horror," another mag from the same publisher, and I recently found it posted on the web under my pseudonym "Berthe Roegger."

It was full of typos; I've cleaned it up and added a Pulp Fiction reference that wasn't in the original.

The "Fast Food" of Horror: Jason, Michael & Freddy
By Berthe Roegger
Toxic Horror #1

When I first started writing about horror films ten years ago there was no Freddy Kreuger, no Jason, and Michael Myers had appeared in just one film, John Carpenter's Halloween. At that time, graphically violent horror film was still a disreputable genre. Magazine articles and television critics would occasionally throw a sop to George Romero for Night of the Living Dead, but Cronenberg, Craven, Dante, Carpenter, and others had yet to make "respectable" films, embraced by the mainstream opinion makers.

A lot of things have changed since then, for a lot of reasons. Stephen King has become the worlds best-known, best-selling writer. Horror anthologies are the second-largest genre in syndicated television after game shows. It seems that another Fangoria imitator reaches the newsstands every other month. And all the directors named above have gained some measure of "legitimacy."

The "slasher" film is now a genre unto itself, one that seems to thrive on repetition and formula.

But the producers of these films are not solely to blame for the formula; in fact, the makers of the Halloween and Friday The 13th movies attempted to kill off their lead maniacs early on. It was in response to fan demand that Jason and Mochael have been snatched from the grave again and again , ultimately to be absorbed by the mainstream. While the M.P.A.A has gotten tougher than ever in its vigilance against breaches of taste, horror itself has become a part of the mainstream.

So why do I miss the "good old days?"

When Fangoria was first launched, I remember how refreshing it was to present a magazine that did not go on endlessly about the superiority of the "classic" approach to horror. I never could share Forry Ackerman's enthusiam for Lugosi, Karloff and the rest of the moldering corpses of horror's past. An exploding head, gouting blood, cascades of dripping phlegm---thats what spoke to me, and it still does. So you are not about to read a rant from me about how the "unseen" is more horrifically subtle then the graphic.

No, what annoys me is that horror has become a franchise system. Say the words "horror movie" nowadays, and the crowd will think of Freddy, Jason, and Michael Myers.

To see how this has come about think about the rise of "fast food." I live in Hoboken, New Jersey. Ten years ago, there were about 6 different lunch counters on the main drag where you could get a decent hamburger for under two dollars. Today, there is only McDonald's and Burger King. How did these two close six different independent businesses by offering an inferior, more expensive product?

If you can answer that, you can probably tell me why Freddy, Jason and Michael rule the horror field today.

Fast food chains and mass market maniacs offer brand name recognition and predictability.

A Big Mac tastes the same everywhere.

Jason remains an inarticulate bludgeoner

Michael is always a silent, singleminded stabber.

Freddy is an anarchistic wisecracking torturer.

In France, a quarter-pounder is a Royale. but you can still get it with cheese.

The popular films that first gave birth to the maniacal trio, by Carpenter, Cunningham, and Craven, were far from predictable, before each was killed, returned to life, and transformed into cash cows. All to please the fans.

But there are fans and there are fans. There's a big difference between the sort of fan I'm used to - the one who looks forward to the next Wes Craven or John Carpenter - and the fan that dominates horror today. He's the guy that thinks Jason is cool, and avidly awaits his next slaughter outing. Those fans were in minority ten years ago. Now they are the overwhelming majority. Why?

It used to be that horror films were given a slow, careful release; perhaps a dozen or so prints were initially struck, then more if success warranted it. A film would open first in New York or Los Angeles, and slowly roll out to other major cities. Word of mouth was the most powerful sales tool, and if a film was no good, it was word of mouth that killed it, quickly, before too much harm had been done.

Nowadays, it's all or nothing. It's a small release if only 300 prints are struck, and most horror films open nationwide, unless they go straight to video. Word of mouth? Forget it. TV ads (and Fango articles) get all the Jasonmaniacs' and Freddyphiles' mouths to watering, and the bulk of the film's money is made in the first opening weekend; even if word turns out to be bad, the investors' money has already been secured. Finamcial security - sure money - is what sequelizing is all about. Unfortunatly for moviegoers, financial security and creative risks seldom mix.

Some would say that the horror sequel is the only way for horror to survive at all in today's market. There are less then 25,000 movie screens in this country; in a summer like the one just past, major releases like Indy Jones III, Batman, Ghostbusters II, Licence to Kill, and others occupied an overwhelming majority of those screens for most of the summer. Without an identifiable figure like Freddy Kreuger, how could a new, unknown horror film get booked into theaters at all, let alone make any kind of a dent in the market? The American moviegoer has been thoroughly trained to catch every "big" movie that they "must" see.

For myself, and a lot of horror fans like me, it was the little movies that hardly anyone had seen that always had the most appeal. But Jason, Michael, and Freddy have changed all that.

Maybe you think I'm an old fogey, a stick-in-th-mud, someone who resents, out of jealousy, the amalgamation of greater and greater power in Hollywood. Maybe you have a point. But it also occurs to me that one of the first people to raise a howl about this mass market was the man who started it all. John Carpenter, the writer and director who devised the unkillable maniac in his picture Halloween, fought long and hard to prevent its sequelization; he found that it's very hard to stand between Hollywood sharks and money to be made. Today, the Halloween saga continues without Carpenter's participation, while he continues to make worthwhile horror films, particularly They Live! , which all by itself is worth all the Halloween sequels lumped in one basket.

If Carpenter could do it, so can you -- "Just say no" to junk food horror movies. Only when Jason, Freddy and Michael finally and thoroughly die can horror films start anew.

Views: 228

Replies to This Discussion

If I may, I would like to say that it is really amazing, and also sad, that although this essay is probably close to 20 years old, everything written remains true even more so today.

I don't know if you were wanting a discussion, but IMO it is probably even worse now with a lot of the horror remakes and tame PG13 flicks for the younger audiences. You can definitely tell how hard it must be to get unique or original horror ideas up onto the big screen these days.

It's exciting to watch a really great horror movie, and, personally, I am very grateful for joining the NF community and groups, and having the opportunity to recieve recommendations from highly informed horror fans.
Discussion is always welcome, but my real reason for posting the essay is to link it to my Wikipedia bio, in case anyone looking me up wants to know why I quit....
You were the original editor for Fango? That's great.

I agree with you also. I DO like the three, but now everyone thinks of them when they hear the word horror. I try to convince people that horror is not only slashers. I try to tell them that there's a horror film out there for everyone that likes movies...my mom enjoys psychological horror. However, when I tell her this and cite some movies, she says, but those aren't HORROR movies. To people now only low-budget cheesy films and slasher types are "horror". So sad.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Netflowers replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
5 hours ago
" "
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
Profile IconColleen and fraserello joined Netflix Movie Fans
6 hours ago
ocontraire replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 35.0'
" For the first 45 minutes + of Chef (caught last night), I was really enjoying this indie. Snappy dialog, great cameos w/ Dustin Hoffm., Scarlett Joh. and later Robt. Downey Jr., Sofia Verg. keeping her annoying accent ( overacting) to a normal…"
14 hours ago
fraserello joined Hitch's group
Thumbnail

The Comedy Corner

Here's a place to talk about and list your favorite comedy's, jokes, pictures, etc. We can't be serious all the time. We all need to laugh at life's crazy moments and here's a place to do so.
15 hours ago
fraserello joined David's group
Thumbnail

Movie Misc.

I thought I'd make a place or catchall for items about movies, whether it's about directors, actors, DVD releases, a review or whatever you might find on movies that you'd like to share. See More
15 hours ago
fraserello joined David's group
Thumbnail

Television

A  place to discuss things on TV--shows you enjoy, head's up on shows, etc.See More
15 hours ago
eviltimes replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"Do you want your panties back, or not?"
15 hours ago

© 2014   Created by eviltimes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service