Netflix Movie Fans

A loyal Netflix customer since July 2002, I recently took the plunge into streaming when I upgraded to the Sony BDP-S470 blu-ray player.  I've been pleasantly surprised by the picture quality of HD streams, however am getting very annoyed by the frequent buffering pauses during playback (literally paused every 5-10 seconds during playback of an Arrested Development episode tonight).

I have not been able to identify a specific pattern.  It happens during high and low (early morning) traffic times.  It happens with or without local network traffic.  It might happen with one episode of a series, but not the next.  Has happened on every series we've watched (30 Rock, Arrested Development, Weeds, Nip/Tick, etc).  I'm not sure it ever happened on SD content, but it definitely happens frequently on HD content.  It might happen only a couple times or (more commonly) many times during a viewing.  

There's no way I'm experiencing a "last mile" performance problem.  I'm connected to my LAN by ethernet cable and have a rock solid (guaranteed minimum) 10/10 FTTP WAN connection.  My ISP does not throttle.  Also, the Sony has the latest firmware.

I'd like to know the cause, so--hopefully--I can do something about it. I'm curious how many others have had this problem under similar circumstances, what devices the problem has occurred on and if/how the problem has been resolved.  I'd bet neither Netflix nor Sony will admit fault (see below).

From Netflix (blame everyone but their partners): http://blog.netflix.com/2009/03/netflix-trying-for-consistent.html

Tags: BDP-S470, Blu-Ray, Buffering, Netflix, Pauses, Pausing, Sony, Streaming

Views: 15434

Replies to This Discussion

Well, being a good citizen I upgraded my internet connection to the 20mbps minimum plan. As expected, it didn't make a bit of difference in the buffering problem. Nip/Tuck Season One, Episode 8 is still pausing every 30-60 seconds to buffer.

On the bright side, surfing is wicked fast.
After submitting to Sony support a support request that contained this: "...To eliminate my broadband connection as the source of the problem, I upgraded my 10mbps plan to a 20mbps plan. As expected, this made no difference in performance. The problem occurs during peak and non-peak usage times."

I received the response below. At least they responded quickly.
---------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry that some videos pause and goes to buffering mode while playing back a Netflix movie. Depending on the file size of the video clip you are watching, it is possible that some video clips may pause and go into buffering mode when playing. This does not normally occur with short video clips, but long video clips may require additional buffering time.

Buffering is generally caused by a slow Internet connection speed.

Also, I have provided a link with more information in this regard:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1013643

Also, please update the Firmware Update for the Blu-ray Player which improves router connectivity. Please click on the URL below to download the Firmware Update for the Player.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=5909&md...

Thank you for your time.

The Sony Email Response Team
C1RT
Jennifer

I had the same problem and contacted Netflix by phone; they were able to make an adjustment on their end that fixed the problem completely.  I have had NO problems since.

I use a PS3 with a wireless connection. 100% signal strength.
***I am having the same issues as you. I could barely see 1 movie it was so blurry. I watch on a HDTV.
With a HDMI connecting cord. Not the 3 prong cord.
I still try maby twice a month to see if things are better. There are movies I have watch 3/4 thru and just gave up. It kept pausing every 5-10 seconds during playback.
I have not seen one movie in HD though, just standard. I might go look for a playback HD option button I might be missing.

I think I see one finished movie for every 3 pausing movies I give up on.
Still a good DVD rental deal.
I'm getting the same thing on my Sony BluRay BDP-S570. Before I did a software update it would rebuffer an hour into the movie. But now after I updated the software it plays 20 seconds and rebuffers. This continues through the whole movie. I'm chatting with Sony now. They blamed it on my internet. It worked flawlessly through my PS3, but that's been stolen so I got this BluRay Player.
I have the same problem with my Samsung HTC6600 Blu-ray home theater. Very frequent buffering, especially on HD programs. All the other streaming sites work well - Vudu, Blockbuster, and CinemaNow, which leads me to believe that the Netflix software (when used with one of these internet connected Blu-ray players) is to blame. I think Netflix has to do something on their end to address this or they will have a lot of customers cancelling and giving their money to other more reliable streaming sites.
Update: After speaking with the people at the Sony they had me reset my system to the original settings. It's been 90% better. We can now watch a whole movie with only a couple interruptions. So long story short....don't run the updates...no matter how tempting it is.
I am going through the same problem on both my Sony blu-ray players. I too feel that was the last firmware upgrade that did it! Funny how my cheapo insignia blu-ray exhibits no problems with streaming. Sony quality has been slipping...

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if Sony can help my downgrade my firmware.
I fixed the frequent HD buffering AND frequent midstream disconnects from Netflix on my Samsung HTC6600 by upgrading to a 6 MBPS DSL connection (from a 3 MBPS) AND by connecting the player directly to my DSL modem through a wired powerline connection. Previously the player was connected to a Dlink router (DIR-615) that was downstream from the modem also through a wired powerline connection. I think that the extra step of going through the router somehow screwed up the reliability of the connection.

The box still buffers but only 1-4 times throughout an entire HD viewing vs every few seconds to minutes.
I just bought a Samsung HT-C6600. NetFlix was working fine until I did the upgrade. Something is wrong with the update. Do not apply it. I'm at 1008.4. Vudu works flawlessly.

Using Xfinity router and a Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station

March 19, 2012 -

Bought 3 Samsung DB-D7500 Bluray wireless players for using Netflix specifically. All upgraded to last software release. ALL FAIL in terms of constant re-buffering during play.

Before I contacted Samsung, I checked the following:

• All other devices for re-buffering issues - Macintosh laptop, Windows Laptop, IPhone, Android, Nintendo Wii. All work flawlessly with Netflix.

• Checked speed on my data service. Contacted Xfinity for any record of issue sending data. All working fine.
I contacted Samsung for help. They claim it's my router. My tests result in no failure from my router. The second time, they told me to restart my Bluray...  really?  If all three are failing with the SAME re-buffering issues?
Can Netflix suggest a player that DOES WORK. I am taking all three back to the reseller this week. They plainly do not work.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Baff replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"Yeah, I've got that info in my list above."
5 minutes ago
Dig-Me-Up replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"The Strain has been renewed for the Summer of 2015.. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Strain-Season-2-Renewed-FX-1085686.aspx ;"
17 minutes ago
Baff replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"Tuesday final numbers. SHIELD: 1.8 - Big drop POI: 1.8 - Very steady Forever: 1.4 - Danger zone already"
2 hours ago
Dig-Me-Up replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"The character known as "Alligator Girl" from the film "Tokyo Gore Police". "
3 hours ago
"Monday numbers were about 10% lower than the season premiere numbers last week, which is typical."
7 hours ago
David replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"For anyone interested here are some interviews conducted in the fall of 1962, François Truffaut carried out extensive interviews with Alfred Hitchcock: https://archive.org/details/AlfredHitchcockLongInterview-FranoisTruffraut"
8 hours ago
Knaldskalle replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"I concur. My biggest problem is that these theories ascribe near-super-human abilities to the conspirators (in this case the federal government which is unable to even launch a working website FFS!) and only those who've drunk the special sauce…"
10 hours ago
Dig-Me-Up replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"Remember this cheesy in movie poll that went with the 1961 horror movie "Mr Sardonicus" It's an interesting flashback.... Here's a link to the entire film on…"
17 hours ago
David replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Yep, I gotta agree with Nerves on this one.  I'm not much for conspiracy theories anyway generally speaking.  What would be the purpose to the deception?  How could Bush pull off such a thing when everything else he did was…"
19 hours ago
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"I guess you missed this then:  "Jones also said that molten steel found in the rubble was evidence of explosives, as an ordinary airplane fire would not generate enough heat to produce this, citing photographs of red debris being removed…"
20 hours ago
macroman replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Ivory Tower (2014. Documentary)=Since l978, the biggest inflation rate among US goods and services has been  the spiralic increase in college tuition.   The combined effect of many factors led to this.  As one example, in the 70s the…"
21 hours ago
macroman replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"I couldn't much of anything to debunk what I wrote above.  Even if a building fell straight down, there would be a temporarily delay as the floor below it would slow down the collapse until that floor also gave way--so there would be a…"
23 hours ago

© 2014   Created by droidmaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service