Netflix Movie Fans

Jamesetta Hawkins’ mother was 14 when she was born and her white father was unknown. James speculated that her father was the famous pool player, Rudolf "Minnesota Fats" Wanderone, and met him briefly in 1987. The young James was brought up by a series of caregivers, as her mother was nicknamed by James as "the Mystery Lady". By the age of 14 she had formed a doo-wop group, and under the name the Peaches they recorded "The Wallflower (Dance with Me, Henry)" which reached #1 on the rhythm and blues charts in 1955. Even after she left the group, her nickname remained Miss Peaches.

In 1960, James signed a recording contract with Argo Records, a subsidiary of Chess Records. Chess imagined James as more than just an R&B artist and heard she had potential to cross over onto the pop charts. Chess began backing James on her recording sessions with violins and other string instruments, which was first heard on her 1961 hit, "At Last". The song went to #2 on the Billboard R&B chart in 1961, and ultimately became her signature song. Although James released 30 albums and 58 singles, but due to her heroin addiction during the 60s and 70s, her career was erratic. She kicked the habit in 1974, and slowly rebuilt her career, playing at small clubs and music festivals, and then opening for the Rolling Stones in the mid 80s, before releasing her first album on a major label for seven years in 1989. The Seven Year Itch caught the attention of the music industry and she began receiving major industry awards from the Grammys and the Blues Foundation.

In 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine ranked her #62 on their list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. The Blues Foundation has awarded Etta James the Soul/Blues Female Artist of the Year nine–times. Etta James has received six Grammy Awards. Her first was in 1994, when she was awarded Best Jazz Vocal Performance for the album Mystery Lady, which consisted of covers of Billie Holiday songs. Two other albums have also won awards, Let's Roll (Best Contemporary Blues Album) in 2003, and Blues To The Bone (Best Traditional Blues Album) in 2004. Two of her early songs have been given Grammy Hall of Fame Awards for "qualitative or historical significance": "At Last" and "The Wallflower (Dance with Me, Henry)". In 2003, she was given the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.

Tags: Argo, Chess, etta, james, peaches

Views: 228

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Attachments:

Chess, James and Bass

What a rare gem she was!

Otis and James

Clay and James

RSS

Latest Activity

MrSpork left a comment for Rebecca Ann
"Great to have two new horror film fans here. Though I may not get to stay online for long because of financial problems that I won't go into. Get to know some of the members and ask about some of the more popular groups. **And Welcome Aboard ** "
6 hours ago
MrSpork left a comment for Hannah
"Great to have two new horror film fans here. Though I may not get to stay online for long because of financial problems that I won't go into. Get to know some of the members and ask about some of the more popular groups. **And Welcome Aboard ** "
6 hours ago
Profile IconRebecca Ann and Hannah joined Netflix Movie Fans
9 hours ago
Spindaddydad replied to ekelks's discussion 'jump to the top of my queue'
"Do you mean like this? "
yesterday
Ando left a comment for Susy
"Greetings. Anyone who likes Shakespeare is cool in general. Welcome! Do not hesitate to post nonsense. We're all resident kooks. - A"
yesterday
Susy joined Ando's group
Thumbnail

Shake & Stir

Even if you don't believe that he wrote all those plays let's talk about his best film adaptations and anything else William Shakespearean.See More
yesterday
Susy joined Ando's group
Thumbnail

Criterion Fun

For fans of The Criterion Collection. I'll occasionally post streaming titles available through Netflix, HuluPlus and/or (especially) YouTube channels (w/sub options for non-English language films). Chime in with whatever Criterion title (including…See More
yesterday
Susy left a comment for Kilrymont
"Blade Runner - hear hear!"
yesterday
eviltimes left a comment for Susy
"Greetings!  Anyone who likes Branagh's Hamlet is a friend of mine :)"
yesterday
Profile IconSusy and bethb joined Netflix Movie Fans
yesterday
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 35.0'
"Knute Rockne All American (1940) Though I'm not a sports fan I enjoyed this quite a bit. It's a biopic on Knute Rockne (1888 - 1931) who emigrated to America at age 5 with his family from Norway. Growing up in Chicago…"
yesterday
MrSpork replied to MrSpork's discussion 'Hello Everyone on Netflix..'
"Dad is going to bankruptcy most likely. I hope that is the best decision that can be made,. I have no idea ??? "
yesterday

© 2015   Created by eviltimes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service