Netflix Movie Fans

Few people remember that Babe Ruth made an impressive cameo in Harold Lloyd's Speedy (1928). It's not a "baseball" film but it has one of the most memorable players of all time getting tossed around by Lloyd's maniacal cabby on the way to Yankee Stadium. It's a great sequence - better than some entire films centered around the sport. There are the very good ones that I bow to like The Natural and Field of Dreams. And then, of course, there's Ken Burns' 11 part series, Baseball. But it's the smaller films that I like best. Anyone have any special favorites?

Views: 1726

Replies to This Discussion

"I think it was Ow." lol Lord. Real baseball stories are always better than movies. Welcome to the group, Scone.

Yeah, I put The Life & Times of Hank Greenberg in my queue a few days ago. It's one I haven't seen.

Cool. 

Angels in the Outfield (Paul Douglas version)

Eight Men Out

It Happens Every Spring

The Jackie Robinson Story

The Soul of the Game

. . . and, of course, Damn Yankees

Isn't The Jackie Robinson Story rather like The Joe Louis Story, where the star athlete plays himself? I've always resisted both because of that. Ali in The Greatest probably soured my taste for such treatments.

Yes.

But Jackie Robinson exhibits an earnest quality that's very winning. And while Minor Watson is too gruff and OTT as Branch Rickey, the basic story is here.

It's light years better than The Babe Ruth Story  (with William Bendix who, from what I understand, actually played baseball).

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Ando commented on Ando's group 'Shake & Stir'
" The big 450 for William, born today in 1564."
3 minutes ago
Profile Iconjassica ablla, james major, Juliabreault and 46 more joined Netflix Movie Fans
4 minutes ago
Ancle1932 posted a blog post

Tuck In Problem Areas With Slimming Swimwear

Slimming Swimwear for Every Female's EmbodyWhen you're achievement to the spot or the beach, you need to perception your incomparable. However, your curves aren't enhanced and your problem areas are not hidden by most cleansing suits. Slimming…See More
21 minutes ago
joe lobo posted a blog post

They CNN thanks for trying to think he called me really bad reactions that's why I believe healthy try product way anytime but one you hurt to try he is finally going away my he and Ducati really bad…

They CNN thanks for trying to think he called me really bad reactions that's why I believe healthy try product way anytime but one you hurt to try he is finally going away my he and Ducati really bad reaction which means I have to stop using the…See More
1 hour ago
smritilokhande786 left a comment for smritilokhande786
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
kimberlystanley posted a blog post

Protect your hair from falling!

Use KeraPlex Bio for your hair life, That which you can do in here is avoid applying  other hair options and an excessive amount of wash. Also have it consistently rubbed to stimulate hair growth and you also have to avoid vigorously brushing your…See More
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Captain America The Winter Soldi replied to Captain America The Winter Soldi's discussion 'When Will DVD For Captain America The Winter Soldier Release.'
"here is a link i found for DVD Captain America The Winter Soldier Is It legit : http://www.captainamerica2thewintersoldier.com/ This site linked me there :…"
1 hour ago
Dinken Jorg left a comment for Dinken Jorg
" Watch Captain America 2 Online http://cyberload.net/mc/index.php?topic=145898.0 "
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by droidmaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service