Netflix Movie Fans

Few people remember that Babe Ruth made an impressive cameo in Harold Lloyd's Speedy (1928). It's not a "baseball" film but it has one of the most memorable players of all time getting tossed around by Lloyd's maniacal cabby on the way to Yankee Stadium. It's a great sequence - better than some entire films centered around the sport. There are the very good ones that I bow to like The Natural and Field of Dreams. And then, of course, there's Ken Burns' 11 part series, Baseball. But it's the smaller films that I like best. Anyone have any special favorites?

Views: 1862

Replies to This Discussion

"I think it was Ow." lol Lord. Real baseball stories are always better than movies. Welcome to the group, Scone.

Yeah, I put The Life & Times of Hank Greenberg in my queue a few days ago. It's one I haven't seen.

Cool. 

Angels in the Outfield (Paul Douglas version)

Eight Men Out

It Happens Every Spring

The Jackie Robinson Story

The Soul of the Game

. . . and, of course, Damn Yankees

Isn't The Jackie Robinson Story rather like The Joe Louis Story, where the star athlete plays himself? I've always resisted both because of that. Ali in The Greatest probably soured my taste for such treatments.

Yes.

But Jackie Robinson exhibits an earnest quality that's very winning. And while Minor Watson is too gruff and OTT as Branch Rickey, the basic story is here.

It's light years better than The Babe Ruth Story  (with William Bendix who, from what I understand, actually played baseball).

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Netflowers replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
9 hours ago
" "
9 hours ago
10 hours ago
Ando replied to Nerves's discussion 'Henry Purcell' in the group Music
"This is an interesting piece on Purcell's early musical life and his royal patronage, which was ultimately supplanted by the London stage. "
yesterday
" "
Friday
WayOut replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"Baff, I am very sorry to hear of your wife's passing.  I, too, have suffered that pain.  You are in my prayers."
Friday
WayOut joined meow meow's group
Thumbnail

Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum

The Sci-Fi spot for fans of all kinds of Science Fiction to discuss films, TV shows, directors, outer space or time travel, aliens, androids, strange, dystopian, or apocalyptic scenarios, future films, zombies, monsters, action, horror & more.
Friday
Profile Iconamberbby and WayOut joined Netflix Movie Fans
Thursday
Thursday
Wednesday
Wednesday
David replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"Sorry to hear about your loss, Baff. "
Wednesday

© 2014   Created by eviltimes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service