Netflix Movie Fans

Few people remember that Babe Ruth made an impressive cameo in Harold Lloyd's Speedy (1928). It's not a "baseball" film but it has one of the most memorable players of all time getting tossed around by Lloyd's maniacal cabby on the way to Yankee Stadium. It's a great sequence - better than some entire films centered around the sport. There are the very good ones that I bow to like The Natural and Field of Dreams. And then, of course, there's Ken Burns' 11 part series, Baseball. But it's the smaller films that I like best. Anyone have any special favorites?

Views: 1722

Replies to This Discussion

"I think it was Ow." lol Lord. Real baseball stories are always better than movies. Welcome to the group, Scone.

Yeah, I put The Life & Times of Hank Greenberg in my queue a few days ago. It's one I haven't seen.

Cool. 

Angels in the Outfield (Paul Douglas version)

Eight Men Out

It Happens Every Spring

The Jackie Robinson Story

The Soul of the Game

. . . and, of course, Damn Yankees

Isn't The Jackie Robinson Story rather like The Joe Louis Story, where the star athlete plays himself? I've always resisted both because of that. Ali in The Greatest probably soured my taste for such treatments.

Yes.

But Jackie Robinson exhibits an earnest quality that's very winning. And while Minor Watson is too gruff and OTT as Branch Rickey, the basic story is here.

It's light years better than The Babe Ruth Story  (with William Bendix who, from what I understand, actually played baseball).

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

eviltimes replied to pterosaur's discussion 'The Listening Thread: Part NEIN!' in the group The Soundtracks to Our Lives
"Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
2 hours ago
Profile IconHydroPhilic and fhfgh joined Netflix Movie Fans
3 hours ago
Netflowers replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"HELENA,  BAT-SHIT CRAZY "
6 hours ago
"ORPHAN BLACK "
7 hours ago
Ando replied to Ando's discussion 'Great Shots. Post 'em!' in the group The Fan
" Red Sox closer Koji Uehara pumps fist after saving the win for Boston tonight. His first game back since a minor injury - a scare, really - threatened to deprice The Sox of their ace."
18 hours ago
Dig-Me-Up replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"Scarlett,. hot.. But some of The Avengers team is a bit of a joke. The Black widow is good with pistols and punching and acrobatics,. and uses mace. And the character Hawkeye is just a guy with a bow and arrows. To quote the comedian Patton Oswalt,.…"
19 hours ago
eviltimes replied to thinktanktinker's discussion 'I'm trying to find a movie not sure if it is foreign.' in the group What's The Name of That Movie?
"It was his last movie, and he knew he was dying.  So wonderfully dry. So glad to find another fan of this film.  It's kind of lost in history these days."
20 hours ago
Tom Arnold replied to thinktanktinker's discussion 'I'm trying to find a movie not sure if it is foreign.' in the group What's The Name of That Movie?
"Yes! Richard Burton was perfect as O'Brien. Stern and authoritarian, then, fatherly...."
22 hours ago
"SCARLETT -- "
yesterday
eviltimes replied to pterosaur's discussion 'The Listening Thread: Part NEIN!' in the group The Soundtracks to Our Lives
"Jorma Kaukonen - Genesis"
yesterday
eviltimes replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Amazon Prime, FTW."
yesterday
David replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Forrest Gump--I've seen it subsequent times, and I was in a foul mood, which it helped to lift.  A lot of people didn't care for it, but i find it amusing and likeable."
yesterday

© 2014   Created by droidmaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service