Netflix Movie Fans

Here's how this works: Visit the TCM schedule for the month -- the link
for March is here -- and pick
five films that you want to recommend. You must
limit your choices to only five. Please include the title of the film,
the day and time that it's on, and why you are championing it. The idea
isn't that these are the best films of the month, just the five you
want to recommend. Feel free to choose standards or the more obscure.

And remember, if you have to decide between two films, try to choose
the one that is not available on Netflix

Views: 88

Replies to This Discussion

You're getting . . . what is the clinical term?  . . . getting . . . getting fucked !

That's it! Fucked.

You're getting fucked !

Is your cable/satellite provider the only one in your area? Do you have access to Direct-TV?

13 Sunday

2:00 a.m.          Le proces de Jeanne d'Arc        (1962)

Dir: Robert Bresson

I've been wanting to see this for years now.

It was also mentioned over on this thread last year:

Speaking of which, I was able to see Bresson's The Trial of Joan of Arc just once, and would love to see it again.

The "absence of pizzazz" remarked upon earlier is indeed one of its stronger (bleak and/or stark) attractions, the dialogue in the screenplay based as it is entirely on existing transcripts of Joan's trial.

I love Shavian pyrotechnics and the delirium of Dreyer as much as the next person, but Bresson is another something special.

Here are a few of the things I'd be watching if I had TCM:

3 Thursday - 3 pm ET - Kind Lady - A con artist and his criminal cohorts hold an old lady hostage in her own home. Cast: Maurice Evans, Ethel Barrymore, Angela Lansbury. Dir: John Sturges. BW-78 mins

NOT ON VHS OR DVD

4 Friday - noon ET -  Between Two Worlds - [Victims of a London air raid wake up as p]assengers on a luxury liner [and] realize they are en route to the afterlife. Cast: John Garfield, Edmund Gwenn, Eleanor Parker [also Paul Heinreid and Sydney Greenstreet]. Dir: Edward A. Blatt. BW-112 mins

NOT ON VHS OR DVD

21 Monday - 3:30 pm ET -  Rage in Heaven - A jealous man plots to fake his death and incriminate his wife's suspected lover. Cast: Robert Montgomery, Ingrid Bergman, George Sanders. [Among the writers: James Hilton and Christopher Isherwood] Dir: W.S. Van Dyke. BW-85 mins

NOT ON VHS OR DVD

26 Saturday - midnight ET - This Woman Is Dangerous - A female gangster learns she is losing her vision. Cast: Joan Crawford, Dennis Morgan, David Brian. Dir: Felix E. Feist. BW-100 mins

AVAILABLE ONLY ON DV-R via Warner Archives

30 Wednesday - 4:15 am ET - The Bed-Sitting Room - A pregnant woman searches for love amidst the ruins of nuclear war [in this dark absurdist comedy from the creators of The Goon Show]. Cast: Rita Tushingham, Ralph Richardson, Peter Cook [also Dudley Moore, Spike Milligan, Michael Hordern, Mona Washbourne, Harry Secombe, Marty Feldman] Dir: Richard Lester. C-91 mins

NOT ON VHS OR DVD

The only one of these I've seen before is The Bed Sitting Room, and yes, once again I'm aiming for the hard-to-find.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Baff replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"Yeah, I've got that info in my list above."
4 hours ago
Dig-Me-Up replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"The Strain has been renewed for the Summer of 2015.. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Strain-Season-2-Renewed-FX-1085686.aspx ;"
4 hours ago
Baff replied to Baff's discussion 'TV Show Start Dates Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2014-15' in the group Wormhole Xtreme! ... The SCI-FI Forum
"Tuesday final numbers. SHIELD: 1.8 - Big drop POI: 1.8 - Very steady Forever: 1.4 - Danger zone already"
6 hours ago
Dig-Me-Up replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"The character known as "Alligator Girl" from the film "Tokyo Gore Police". "
7 hours ago
"Monday numbers were about 10% lower than the season premiere numbers last week, which is typical."
11 hours ago
David replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"For anyone interested here are some interviews conducted in the fall of 1962, François Truffaut carried out extensive interviews with Alfred Hitchcock: https://archive.org/details/AlfredHitchcockLongInterview-FranoisTruffraut"
12 hours ago
Knaldskalle replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"I concur. My biggest problem is that these theories ascribe near-super-human abilities to the conspirators (in this case the federal government which is unable to even launch a working website FFS!) and only those who've drunk the special sauce…"
14 hours ago
Dig-Me-Up replied to spiderpig's discussion 'Pics or GTFO V4.0'
"Remember this cheesy in movie poll that went with the 1961 horror movie "Mr Sardonicus" It's an interesting flashback.... Here's a link to the entire film on…"
22 hours ago
David replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Yep, I gotta agree with Nerves on this one.  I'm not much for conspiracy theories anyway generally speaking.  What would be the purpose to the deception?  How could Bush pull off such a thing when everything else he did was…"
23 hours ago
Nerves replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"I guess you missed this then:  "Jones also said that molten steel found in the rubble was evidence of explosives, as an ordinary airplane fire would not generate enough heat to produce this, citing photographs of red debris being removed…"
yesterday
macroman replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"Ivory Tower (2014. Documentary)=Since l978, the biggest inflation rate among US goods and services has been  the spiralic increase in college tuition.   The combined effect of many factors led to this.  As one example, in the 70s the…"
yesterday
macroman replied to The Professor's discussion 'What did you watch today? v 34.0'
"I couldn't much of anything to debunk what I wrote above.  Even if a building fell straight down, there would be a temporarily delay as the floor below it would slow down the collapse until that floor also gave way--so there would be a…"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by droidmaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service